Officer Mussini reported:
- Some good news! Over the last two months there have been few calls for service in our area for things like theft, burglaries, vandalism, etc.
- There has been a “group” hanging out at the Dundalk Village Center causing problems. The police have been working with Blue Ocean (the property owners), merchants and the DRC to address this problem. In addition, Blue Ocean has hired security guards.
- With the cold weather, car thefts in the area tend to rise as people begin letting their cars warm up. Don’t leave your car running to warm it up, even if it’s locked! It’s very easy for car thieves to break in, then drive off in your car.
- Lighting! Lighting! Lighting! It only costs a couple of dollars a year using a cfl light bulb to leave your porch light on all night. Criminals don’t like lighted porches or backyards. If you need a cfl bulb for your porch or back yard light, contact ODNA at email@example.com and we will get one to you.
Glenn presented the “position paper” on the redevelopment of the Seagrams property from ODNA he has been working on. Among the items addressed are the density of the housing units, the small amount of green space and storm water management. Part of the project includes $100,000 for a community benefit. We discussed proposing a “make over” for Veterans Park, with the idea to make the park more inviting for all users, and less inviting for those who just want to loiter and cause trouble. Ideas included a new, more open, lighted gazebo; moving the benches to the perimeter of the park; thinning the trees and making the landscape more open to creating less places to hide and more visibility of the shops from Dundalk Ave.
December 6th is the Holiday Hoopla at the Dundalk Village Center
December 19th, ODNA will be again participating in “Luminary Night” sponsored by the Dundalk Historical Society. We will be placing luminaries on the Shipway side of Heritage park. We need just a couple of volunteers to help with setting up and collecting the luminaries after the event. Interested? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will be holding a Spring Dumpster Day in April to coordinate with Earth Week. More details to come.
- How can we better communicate and promote ODNA? How can we attract more members? Ideas included sending a mailing or just leaving flyers at each house. Breaking the neighborhood up and finding “block captains” to spread the word, recruit new members, encourage participation. Partnering with other groups in the area like the DRC, the Dun-Logan group to pool our resources.
- Other projects we’d like to tackle including getting some better lighting throughout the neighborhood, getting numbers on the back of houses.
What do you think - Send your ideas and comments to email@example.com.
Our next meeting is January 14, 2015 at 7pm in the Dundalk Community Center!
Becky Terjung, President