Wednesday, March 14, 2012
1. Dates for the Spring:
· Adopt a Road Cleanup – March 24th. Meet at the McD’s at 8:30am. Bring a shovel if you can for getting up the debris in the gutters. Again, in the event of forecasted bad weather, we will make any decision to cancel by 8am on Friday, March 23rd.
· Easter Egg Hunt – March 31st in Heritage Park. We will need volunteers for our craft table that day. If you can give an hour or two, please let me know (email@example.com). This event promises to be a busy one, so we should really have four people at the table for each time slot.
9am Set up
9:30 to 10:30
10:30 to 11:30
2&3. Claire and George
11:30 to 12:30
Includes clean up
Angel Ball, who is organizing the event, also needs volunteers that day to help with eggs hunts. Please contact Angel if you have questions or would like to help (443-676-6929)
· Dumpster Day – April 21st. The dumpsters will be in the parking lot of the Church of the Brethren on Yorkway at 8am.
· Yard Sale - May 19th. In Veterans Park. Tables are free for Members, $10 for non-Members. More info to follow.
Curbs along Liberty Parkway: After a lengthy discussion about the curbs, the traffic, speeding and parking along Liberty Parkway, the group recommended that:
· We ask the county to install mountable curbing along roadway this summer. This will allow drivers to continue to pull two wheels up onto the curbing when parking.
· We create a request to the county for a major overhaul and redesign of Liberty Parkway and get this project into the queue of county capital projects. This is a larger and long term project that will take many years to complete.
· We will work with the county about the possibility of installing speed humps along the roadway, as well as any other traffic calming measures that may work.
· We will work with Baltimore County Police to clarify the parking laws that apply and address those drivers who pull completely onto their lawns at a 90 degree angle to the road.
· We will work with Baltimore County Police on speed enforcement. I have asked Officer Wilking about having the speed sign set up and traffic patrols increased.
We will collect feedback on this proposal now through our next meeting on Saturday, April 14th at 10am. Please send any comments, suggestions or questions you have to Becky Terjung (firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-288-3323) and I will try to get an answer for you.
I would like to thank Bryan Sheppard from Baltimore County and Office Wilking for their time and insight on this project.
FYI: In the last month, ODNA has been part of a couple of conversations that I wanted to share with group, but we ran out of time last night:
I attended at meeting at the DRC with several other community association leaders and John Vontran. John has a new proposal – to swap the Seagram’s property he owns with the county for the property at Merritt and Wise (the gov’t center). In his proposal, he would develop the Seagram’s property with a new police station, gov’t center and recreation facilities/fields (everything they currently have at Merritt and Wise). There would also be a senior housing community. Then John would develop the corner at Merritt and Wise with a shopping center (a big box like Target, some smaller stores and restaurants). In his proposal the cost to the county would be $0 and he will make his money with the development of shopping center. Everyone at the meeting thought this was a great idea. Let me know what ya’ll think.
I also received an email about a new proposal for 1 Friendship Circle. As you may have read in the Eagle, Brian Hall elected not to buy and renovate the property for a boarding house. Now, Robyn Holl is interested in buying 1 Friendship Circle to live in and rent out additional space to other artists for studios. The proposal is interesting and worth consideration, as the renovations needed for artist studio space would be less daunting than if it were to be used for multiple rental apartments. She is currently working on her business plan, and looking into the zoning. Let me know what you think about this one.
Elections are coming in May! Now is the time to get involved and to have your voice heard. Think about stepping up and taking a position on the Executive Board. Have a question about a position? Just ask!
Our next meeting is Saturday, April 14th at 10am in the Dundalk Community Center!
ODNA meets on the second Wednesday/Saturday of the month from September to June.
Date Day of the Week Time
April 14, 2012 Saturday 10am
May 9, 2012 Wednesday 7pm
June 9, 2012 Saturday 10am
Our Annual Family Picnic will be held in Heritage Park following our June 9th meeting.